Friday, June 3, 2011

Benny & Joon

Why have I never seen this movie before? Seriously, why?

It has everything I love in a movie all wrapped up into one:
-a quirky love story
-a young Johnny Depp
-a cheesy happy ending
-a young Johnny Depp
-lots of references to old movies
-oh yeah, did I say a young Johnny Depp already?

Its a wonderfully cute little movie that is so sickly sweet you can't help but walk away with a sugar high. I mean seriously, Johnny Depp portrays the most adorable illiterate young man in the history of the world.

There is only one question I have about this movie, that has really been bugging me since I watched it the other day. Was Sam (Johnny Depp's character) actually illiterate?

I mean, the first time you see him, it appears that he is reading a book on Buster Keaton. Then they say he is illiterate, and it is shown several times throughout the film. As Sam imitates Buster Keaton throughout the film, I feel this just might be another imitation. Does anyone know if Buster Keaton was literate or not?

This will probably bother me for a while, but it really does not detract from the movie. If anything it adds an additional layer of intrigue. If you like romantic movies, then I highly recommend this film to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment